Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Back to Where I Belong

I would like to welcome my boyfriend back to the World Wide Web. After a very long hiatus, during which he missed the entirety of my blogging thus far, he has taken matters into his own hands and gotten internet access. I am assuming that he read at least some of this drivel I continue to spew (Discussion question: can one actually spew drivel?) because last night he asked me what the URL for my blog was.
On to less important things. It has come to my attention that I no longer spend enough time in coffee shops. There was a time not too long ago, when I was considered a fixture at several coffee shops in the area. My pockets overflowing with tips that I should have been saving for the power bill, I frequented many Starbucks locations and a few independent shops. I knew all the employees and all of them (save the most stoned of the bunch) knew what I drank. In the past 2 weeks I have found that people I know personally work in coffee shops I used to practically live at and I had no idea.
I miss open mike nights. I miss eating carrot cake and vegan tofu scrambles with bacon for breakfast. I miss the perfect headspace for writing that one can only achieve by alternating pots of high caffeine tea and good glasses of wine for an entire Sunday night. I miss writing clever things on napkins to leave behind for the next customer.
From now on I plan on spending at least 3 hours a week in a coffee shop. Whether I read, write, participate in open mike night, or just generally spew my normal drivel I think I my feel better about my place in the universe if that place is more often in a coffee house. Besides, unlike myself, they have turned their heat on and it is getting cold out there.

1 comment:

Aarwenn said...

Roomate and I turned our heat on two nights ago! BLAST IT! Also our power bill is ridiculously high. What are we doing wrong, do you know? It's certainly not the heat--that's gas, PGE. Give me a time to hang out in coffee shops and I'll be there. You probably have Boyfriend to keep you company at breakfast, (sniff, sniff) but I haven't hung out in a good coffeeshop for a long time.

Also I still have a wireless account at Starbucks.