Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Christmas as an (supposed) adult

My first Christmas as an adult I came home from my college dorm to find that my grandmother had moved in to my bedroom and I had to share with my sister for the length of the vacation.
I bought my boyfriend $100.00+ Okley sunglasses. He bought me a $12.00 pot pipe that burned my lips because it was metal.

The next year I had moved in with the spectacular gift giver of the year before (we have discussed James and all his glory before) I was incredibly ill and just wanted some peace and quiet in our smaller than small studio apartment in Seattle. We got in a fight on Christmas Eve while I was trying to sleep he was wrapping presents to some very loud Christmas music. I moved out when he broke ½ the ornaments on my tree. I left his gifts and he kept the things he bought for me.

The next year I was still with Mr. wonderful. We no longer lived together and I picked out my own present and he paid for it. At the annual Christmas Eve shindig at his mother’s we got too drunk to drive me home and stayed at his mom’s house smoking pot and playing GTA with his mom and brother all night.

In 2002 I had finally given up on James and was dating the man who is now my ex-fiancée. I met his family and he showed me around his life in Twin Falls Idaho. I got him a leather jacket I could not really afford because I knew he would look good in it. He got me a book, some pajamas and a Ring. There was snow and music and love. Christmas had never been so perfect before.

The next year I was newly unengaged and back in my hometown. I was without a boyfriend for the first time. I discovered the joy that is bar hopping on Christmas. I shamelessly seduced my hotter than hot and dumber than dumb co-worker only to find out he had a Girlfriend.

Last year I had just had the “Define the relationship” conversation with boyfriend. I met everyone in his family. He came with me to pick and cut a tree. We went to the nutcracker. I gave him books. He gave me a book and a necklace and a dish he made himself. Everything was new and bright and happy. I felt the season in my bones.

This year I am trying not to get my expectations up but it is hard because so far, everything is wonderful. I have already had a fabulous Whistler weekend with Boyfriend. I know what I will get for him and it will be awesome. (I can’t tell you because on occasion he reads this blog) I am looking forward to the out of town friends, the diet defying food, and the romance of an untouched new year.

I love my Stevie Wonder Christmas on vinyl. I love mulled spiced wine at the Swiss. I love the lights in Westlake center. I love peppermint mochas, white elephant parties, Christmas socks, hot buttered rum and the smell of the Christmas tree. There is nothing that can ruin Christmas and that is the beauty of it.

2 comments:

Aarwenn said...

Hmmmmmm. I see what you mean about this post.

And you should know that your hot buttered rum from yesterday possibly was the savior of my week.

Anonymous said...

I cannot look at Christmas socks without thinking of your entire family.