Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Idea of Fire


Thanksgiving is a bit late this year. That is how I am going to justify putting the Christmas music in my CD player yesterday. I really should have a little more shame and not tell you that I practically cried tears of joy at the sound of Mariah Carey’s voice singing “All I Want for Christmas is You” but I am generally shameless so now the world of the interweb knows my secret.
I seriously am way more excited about putting up Christmas stuffs than I am about moving into my house. I really think I was supposed to be a 50s housewife because if I think about it, I could be very happy getting overly excited about holidays. I would spend my time concocting signature cocktails for my dinner party celebrating Christmas or Independence Day or the third Sunday in August. . . Any excuse really because if there is one thing I love as much as Christmas and party planning it has to be cocktails . . . or maybe wine.
I am also extremely excited to have a fireplace this year. I hate fires inside in fact I am not so much a fan of them outside either. Really, it’s mostly the idea of fires that I like. And I like the heat. Ok, so maybe I just hate the smoke because it gives me migraines and I also maybe don’t appreciate the special kind of unpredictability that fires possess that often results in leaping coals burring holes through things I am wearing. BUT I do love the possibility of fires and I really really love the cheese-tastic plug-in electric light up log insert thingy that came with my fireplace. Next to a gas fireplace (which is all the heat and none of the smoke and therefore a basically perfect invention) this little thing is the most awesome I could hope for. It really is the embodiment of the idea of a fire.
The other reason I am excited about the fireplace is that it has a mantel. Which is awesome if you are trying to channel a cloistered 50s house-wife because you can hang stockings on it and arrange your Italian, hand painted collectable figurine nativity set on it. And then you can plug in your fake fire, put on Nat King Cole Christmas, and read your home décor magazines while you drink hot buttered rum and wait for your hubby to get home from work.
Jesus I am the worst feminist ever.

1 comment:

Aarwenn said...

The last line is priceless!