Thursday, November 10, 2005

"I am Back" or "The Slippery Slope of Downhill Skiing"

You may have noticed I have been MIA lately, well no more. I have been blessed with a temporary government job and long with it, internet access. The wonders of this new job (which I LOVE) will be discussed ad-infinitum at a later date right now I want to talk about being broke and skiing. You see, because I was unemployed for a week or so and I am on the standard 2 week delay for a paycheck I will not see any money until thanksgiving. I have no more extra cash. In fact my not-so-minor transgressions at the Minus The Bear show last Friday (Such a cute zip up!) have left me “delaying” my credit card payment. And to think I have a less than average credit score.
All this could be considered par for the course but I decided I want to learn to ski this year and that takes a lot of money especially if you have no ski experience or gear. I know it is shocking that a person of my ability and class does not know how to downhill ski but in my defense, my parents are into cross country. I spent many a winter weekend skating around behind my mother on skinny ass “skis” thinking I was on a ski trip. Oh the horror of discovering in the 7th grade that other people were referring to a far more dangerous, expensive and therefore better sport when the spoke of skiing. The shock has left me dumbfounded and paralyzed until this year.
Last years terrible season (or lack of season at all) left many of my close friends sitting around with me all winter. As I watched them suffer and sat through night after night at the bar listening to them whine I thought “hey, downhill must be something a person can be addicted to!” In general I LOVE anything a person can become unhealthily addicted to and therefore I decided this was the year I would start my hopefully damaging relationship with the slopes. So now I have my determination to love skiing, my total lack of experience, my desperate withdrawal from any type of retail therapy, lots of advertising for ski gear and slopes, and absolutely no cash. Good thing I got offered overtime tomorrow while all my friends are going skiing, otherwise I might have decided to “delay” my student loan payments too.

No comments: