Friday, September 23, 2005

Get ME Outta Here!

I did not go back to work. I went to the doctor who confirmed my suspicion that my headaches were migraines. He gave me a few samples to try and prescriptions for each with instructions to try them all and pick the one that worked best. Then he told me to find a new job and read a book on centering. Apparently my stress levels are high, who knew?
I have found several jobs I would prefer; the trick is convincing them that they would prefer me. I have decided that no matter what the outcome of this most recent job search, I will be quitting this job as soon as I pay my bills and use up my vacation. I took Monday off for no good reason.
We will now have a play by play of my ongoing job hunt.
#1 job pick, City of Tacoma – Urban Planner
This one is a 15 min WALK from my house (Stadium district side of downtown for those of you from Tacoma). I would work for the city I love and make a ton more money than I make now. Also I would get government holidays.
#2 job pick, Puget Sound Regional Council – Associate Planner
I would get to work in downtown Seattle so I could commute by bus or train and read during traffic. It is part time with full benefits (including holidays but no vacation) and pays enough that I would STILL make more money than I do now working less hours.
#3 job pick, AHBL – Secondary Planner
This is 5 min from my house (Old Town). This is a private company that is the recognized regional leader in green and low impact development. Their mission statement focuses on creating good people and environments rather than on satisfying demanding clients (I think ours actually says that).
#4 Job pick, Kitsap County – Associate Planner
This job is part time but again, I would be making more per hour so I would take home the same amount of money. No mention of benefits in the announcement so I would have to ask. The commute is killer (Port Orchard is 45 min away on a good day). Still, I would be working for a jurisdiction and I would get more time off. Also Kitsap County is a good place to make a difference environmentally because of the conflict between the rural and the rich out there.
Those are the jobs I have applied for. My friend T who just got hired at Pierce County (15 min max from my house) says they should be hiring soon too. I am faxing my resume to her today.
UPDATE: As I was about to post this I was contacted my AHBL. They want to interview me next week! Good thing I took Monday off.

1 comment:

Aarwenn said...

GOOD LUCK! YOU'RE AWESOME!