Wednesday, September 07, 2005

George and I agree? This IS a disaster!

Last night, for the first time ever, I agreed with George W. Bush. I was watching coverage of the hurricane clean-up/rescue efforts while doing my cardio at the gym and the president was talking about what the next steps for these efforts would be on the part of the national government. Some reporter asked him how he planed on addressing accusations that the appointment of the current FEMA director was not based on qualifications but on bureaucratic nepotism and payoffs. The president responded by saying that there would be plenty of time to play the blame game but right now they were going to focus on relief efforts.
I understand that this was probably just his way of dodging some legitimate concerns and when it does come time to play the blame game I will have a lot to say but for right now I agree. This is a natural disaster and if an earthquake had devastated the Seattle metro area I would be enraged that the news coverage wanted to discuss the ins and outs of WHY things are falling apart instead of HOW to put things back together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you agree with that and not his decision to kill mentally retarded people as gov. of Texas. Jesus, Rachel. You confuse me.

T-town Girl said...

I am a mystery, I know.

Aarwenn said...

I say you agree with the words, but it's madness to assume that Bush meant what he said. This is a man who, four days after the hurricane hit New Orleans, FINALLY took two days out from his five week vacation to see the damage. And then went right back on vacation. A man whose secretary of state's trip in New York didn't change: she went to see Spamalot and spent an afternoon shoe-shopping. On a day two days after the hurricane, as 12,000 people were contained in the Superdome without food or water, being raped.

I agree that it absolutely pointless to point fingers and put blame about WHY this happened. Not enough money, not enough levees, blah blah blah, it doesn't matter who's fault it is. But I think we have a right to get mad that the government clearly doesn't care. Condaleeza Rice's actions, especially, shock me. She's like a combination of Marie Antoinette and Imelda Marcos.