Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back on the Scale

I could blog about the remodel and how we have started up again. I could blog about how awesome my husband has been lately bringing home little gifts and doing the dishes without my saying a thing. I could blog about the dog and my tough decision to get him a bark collar. I could blog about how broke we are, or how excited I am to have my Dad come down and see our house in its “lived in” state, or recent developments in my ongoing quest to find a spiritual “home.” But I am not going to blog about any of that. All of that is too personal or too trivial or just pain not amusing.
So right now I am going to blog about the old stand by of agony and comedy we women refer to as “trying to lose weight.” Most the time I like to disguise my attempts at losing weight as other things. “Eating healthier” is a good one, as is “taking up running” and while I am sure that there are people in the universe for whom these goals in and of them selves are worthy and fulfilling, I am not one of them. Don’t get me wrong. I too enjoy runner’s highs and the shinny hair one only gets by eating right. I like having more energy and getting closer to keeping up with my husband when we are skiing/cycling/climbing/hiking. I really do like all of those things, I swear.
But I also like movies and books and stuffing my pie hole with cookies and chips. I like sleeping in and I truly believe that everything (except maybe things like prescription pain medication) is much better with the right wine.
So why lose weight at all? Because I am vain. Good God, am I vain. When I die and end up trying to talk my way out of all the sins I have committed, I will probably be able to make a case for being truly repentant about everything except my vanity. I know that in the grand scheme of things beauty is subjective and largely defined my societal ideals. I also know that I am really only capable of achieving an average level of attractiveness in comparison to those ideals. I mean, realistically, I am painfully normal looking. This does not stop me from going to great lengths to improve that appearance in any way. No mater how minor the improvement will be. Case in point, I quit smoking and if I am honest with myself about the reason, I did it so my teeth would be white for my wedding photos. Yeah, I wanted to stop killing myself and those around me. I wanted to smell better and reduce my risk of cancer. I wanted to save money and get fewer colds. But I had wanted all of those things for a long time and I had tried to quit many times before. So why was I successful quitting during one of the most stressful periods of my life? Vanity.
And that is the same reason I am so upset about a trivial weight gain over the holidays. So the holiday free-for-all of goodies is over and I am going to diet and exercise and lose the weight I gained so I can go back to “maintenance mode” which is what we call it when clothes fit right but you are still to terrified of weight gain to order anything that has Alfredo Sauce on it.

1 comment:

Aarwenn said...

a) You are NOT painfully anything, but certainly not normal-looking! Jeez!
b) I am so vain that I should be forbidden from ever seeing a mirror. I went to a clothing swap last night and I hogged the mirror the whole time, trying stuff on. It was bad.
c) That is a great way to describe "maintenance weight", and that's exactly what it is--that place where you still cannot eat Alfredo sauce. That's exactly the point I'm scared of--where I have to obsess to stay down there. Do you think it would be healthier to slim way down for some breathing room, assuming I can even do that?